The Bishop’s School, as it was then called, opened on its current site on the 16th April 1890 with 45 boys.
Girls were welcomed in 1902 and the school was coeducational until 1927. They now have around 1000 pupils across the school, about 300 of whom are in the Sixth Form.
Bishop Wordsworth’s Sixth Form is consistently amongst the top-performing schools in England, and in 2010 was the school with the best results in the English Baccalaureate.
Although the Sixth Form became co-educational in September 2020 the lower and middle school is still open to boys only.